Portugal Lisbon Mission

Portugal Lisbon Mission

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

You Are My Sunshine

I have now idea, but for some reason Johnny Cash kept popping into my mind this week, which is odd because I only really listened to a few of his songs. But this one describes my week. And Elder Muñiz. He's an Elder I met when I first got here and now he's a good buddy. He's my sunshine. Haha

This week has reminded me of my springs in Oregon. It could be raining for 15 minutes solid, but then the sun comes out, dries up all the rain and the itsy bitsy spider will crawl up the spout again. But for the most part it’s been foggy and chilly in the morning and then in the 20’s (Celsius) during the day. I like it. Reminds me of home.

They say that during the middle of summer, Abrantes get up to the equivalent of 120 degrees Fahrenheit (yeah sorry I'm a terrible speller)! Hope I don't stick around that long haha. 300 days of sun, when I am used to 300 days of rain. Our branch president said that sometimes during summer, the mission president has to tell the missionaries that are white to stay inside because the rays are so bad.

This week was a good one! I had the opportunity to do a division, which is when a set of missionaries switches companions with another for a day. I went out with one Elder Arnold, who is just a bit more of a goober than me, and you know me. It was a good day.

We ended up teaching a lesson to a woman named Branca (which means white, and I know what you're thinking, and no she wasn't black.) It was an awesome lesson. She had had some hard things in her life, and we taught her about the Atonement of Jesus Christ and how it could help her be whole of that. And then at the end she said a prayer and I could feel the spirit so strong. She accepted the invite to be baptized!

That Diamontino, a member, fez anos (had a birthday) he’s 19 same as me. So we had cake at Irmã Rosa's house. It was this cookie cake that's soooo good, but if you eat more than one slice it gets too rich. They're honestly such an awesome family.

That night there was a HUGE thunder and lightning storm. I loved it. It was raining so hard.

Saturday we helped a youth that's coming back into activity, with his apartment. He's prepping an apartment for him and his girlfriend (hopefully when they move in his wife) who's pregnant. He’s a cool guy. And it reminded me of my job back home, but not quite as glamorous.

And that brings me to a rant on Portuguese buildings. They make everything out of cement! No insulation, hard to make changes. And when buildings go out of use, they just sit there, no one using them. Elder Cluff, my last companion said he thinks there are more out of use building in Portugal than in use ones haha. And they make fun of us for building things out of wood! haha

Ok, this is getting to be long. So I'll cut it here. All in all a good week. Looking to this week to be even better. I might be transferred this next Monday, so depending on if I do and where, I might or might not email. So for now, have a good two weeks! And feel free to write me twice! ;)

Hope you're all well! Fica bem!
Elder Buchanan

P.S. Still no pictures sorry. Waiting on that cord. I have some good ones too. Maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment